     of a flurry of 11 new motions filed by the couple. In the divorce
     motion filed Monday, Bob and Mary Schindler accused Michael Schiavo
     of adultery and not acting in his wife's best interests."

     -- Associated Press, March 1, 2005

     "During the hearing in Tampa, the chief lawyer for Ms. Schiavo's
     parents . . . David Gibbs, also said Ms. Schiavo's religious
     beliefs as a Roman Catholic were being infringed because Pope John
     Paul II has deemed it unacceptable for Catholics to refuse food and
     water. 'We are now in a position where a court has ordered her to
     disobey her church and even jeopardize her eternal soul,' Mr. Gibbs
     said."

     -- New York Times, March 22, 2005

   Like many of these Slate quote-only items, this one gives no analysis
   or explanation. Still, my sense is that this is somehow trying to
   suggest that Ms. Schiavo's lawyer or parents are acting
   inconsistently, or that good Catholics should oppose their actions.
   Read it yourself and see whether that's your interpretation.

   Yet if that's the claim, isn't there a pretty obvious response? I'm by
   no stretch of the imagination an expert on Catholicism, but I would
   think that Catholic teachings recognize that even really important
   principles (such as "no divorce") may have to yield when they run up
   against a more important principle (such as "preserve human life").
   This doesn't mean that the first principle is wrong or insignificant,
   only that even important moral rules that are usually stated
   categorically might have some extraordinary exceptions.

   My understanding, for instance, is that most Orthodox Jews believe
   that the commandment of not working on the Sabbath should yield when
   such work is needed to save a life. Likewise, I'd guess that most
   Catholic scholars would conclude that if a divorce is really necessary
   to save a life, it would be proper. Divorces are almost never
   necessary to save a life, so the statements against divorce tend not
   to include such provisos; but it doesn't follow that it's somehow
   inconsistent or improper to recognize that such a proviso is implicit.

   Please correct me if I'm mistaken as to the Catholic teachings, or if
   I'm misinterpreting the Slate column. Perhaps the author is simply
   making the point that I'm making, which is that even categorical rules
   sometimes have extraordinary exceptions (which are understandably not
   included when the rule is asserted, precisely because they are so
   extraordinary), and that sound religious reasoning must thus sometimes
   involve reconciling two contradictory rules. But if the author is
   trying to suggest an inconsistency, I think he's mistaken.

   (None of this speaks to what should be the right result in the Schiavo
   case, of course; I'm making only the limited point I outline above.)