Posted by Eugene Volokh:
Why Are Hispanics Living Longer Than Non-Hispanic Whites?

   Seems like [1]they are; their life expectancy at birth is 2.4 years
   higher for men and 3.6 years higher for women. My intuitive assumption
   was that it should be a little less than for non-Hispanic whites,
   since Hispanics tend to be poorer than non-Hispanic whites. Yet
   obviously my intuitive assumption is wrong.

   I'm genuinely curious about this -- if anyone has actual demographic
   or medical knowledge on this subject (as opposed to just
   seat-of-the-pants speculation), I'd love to hear it. Thanks to
   [2]Slate for the pointer.