Posted by Randy Barnett:
Critiquing Contract Law
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2005_06_12-2005_06_18.shtml#1118945265

   I am late for the program on Critiquing Contract Law--again because I
   was uploading the last blog post in my room. Since I now know someone
   is reading these posts, I decided to proofread it albeit quickly.
   Jay Feinman (Rutgers) is almost done with his talk. I like Jay a lot,
   ever since we both visited at Northwestern teaching contracts. He's a
   nice guy. He is both describing the Critical Legal Studies (CLS)
   movement and how it came under attack and went into somewhat of a
   decline in favor of the New Formalism and the New Conservatism. It is
   interesting that he attributes the decline of the political critique
   of law to politics. This is consistent. What is not entirely
   consistent is why a rational critique offered by Crits is supposed to
   be evaluated on its merits as an effort in reason, but its rejection
   cannot be based on any deficiencies in their argument. It is just
   politics. But I suppose proponents of every school of thought
   (including libertarians, of course) attribute its lack of more general
   acceptance to a misunderstanding of the audience rather than to
   weaknesses of their arguments.
   Jay closes on the pessimistic note that the contributions of the other
   scholars are unlikely to have much influence. He says "don't shoot the
   messenger." I do think Jay's gloominess from the Left is a social
   phenomena worth noting.
   Deborah Waire Post (Tauro) opens with a PowerPoint slide with David
   Rosenberg's in class statement dismissing the contribution to torts of
   critical race theory and feminism. It gets a laugh. Her talk is about
   "critical outsider theory." The project is to construct alternative
   paradigms of the rules. . . . [to read the rest click show]

   ([1]show)

   She confesses an ambience towards contract law. On the one hand,
   contract promises to be a tool in contesting subordination and
   oppression. On the other hand, since assent is often lacking without
   âantisubordinationâ rules, contract law becomes an instrument of
   oppression. Examples of this can be found in intimate contracts, IP,
   and civil procedure. She says that the idea of contract has become all
   pervasive as a means of people asserting their rights. Examples are
   litigation against schools, employers and government agencies.
   I am finding her presentation to be interesting and engaging, but a
   little too disjointed to report faithfully here. She is jumping from
   one point to another (apologizing for going so fast), while
   interjecting anecdotes, so it is hard to summarize fairly. As a
   result, I am doing a bit more listening than writing. She gets cheers
   for her presentation. The moderator Blake Moran (a really wonderful
   guy from Washington & Lee) notes on how fast she spoke and attributes
   this to the fact that she just flew in from China and is probably high
   on caffeine.
   I am looking forward to Neil Williams' (Loyola) talk as it is based on
   the case of Bailey v. Alabama. Bailey is a case in which the
   Lochner-era court struck down a statute criminalizing breach of labor
   contracts as a means of establishing a system of peonage in Alabama.
   Justice Holmes (âThe Great Dissenterâ) dissented and would have upheld
   the statute.
   I included the case in my contracts casebook (the first time this was
   done), and now learn that Murphy, Speidel & Ayres now has it in
   theirs. I cannot complain, as I "borrowed" from other casebooks when
   writing mine. For me, all this borrowing is an argument against
   intellectual property.
   Neil asks whether it is appropriate for law professors to take into
   account the race of the parties when teaching cases? This is a very
   interesting and important question. He starts by telling the story of
   Alphonso Bailey. He took an advance for his employment contract, and
   when he left his job he was charged with a crime of fraud.
   The Supreme Court mentioned Bailey's race to claim (unpersuasively to
   Neil) that his race did not matter. He says that the Lochner era court
   was reluctant to confront racial oppression head on but, to its
   credit, it struck down the statute for violating the 13th Amendment
   that prohibited involuntary servitude. Neil notes that Holmes
   dissented, which he thinks is inconsistent with others of his
   opinions. He cuts Holmes a bit of slack for his criticizing the court
   for failing to consider the case race neutrally as it claimed to be
   doing. I don't think that was Holmes's beef. Instead, Holmes himself
   insists upon the race neutrality perspective (which no one made him
   do) to assert his view that he could see no reason why the state can
   throw its weight on the side of contract performance by use of he
   criminal law.
   The presentation raises but does not acknowledge how protecting
   freedom of contract ostensibly neutrally served to help blacks,
   whereas Holmes's majoritarianism hurt blacks. (This is David
   Bernstein's bailiwick.) If faithfully adopted, freedom of contract is
   valuable as a means to various ends. Perhaps one of these ends is the
   protection of disfavored minorities from oppressive majorities.
   Neil is now talking about another interesting and classic case of
   Glover v. Jewish War Veterans. I won't summarize his interesting
   discussion of this case, which involved the refusal to pay a reward
   for information leading to the capture of the murderer. It has long
   been assumed that the claimant was black, but the case does not say.
   Williams' research confirms that she was, and he asks whether the
   refusal to pay Mrs. Glover was racially motivated. He says the black
   letter rules of contract shut down this relevant inquiry. He contrasts
   Glover with the recent effort to obtain reward for Ashley Smith
   despite the fact that she may not have been aware of the reward when
   she provided the information.
   He closes by affirming that race is relevant to teaching otherwise
   abstract doctrines. I agree, which is why I include so much material
   on race (and gender) in my contracts casebook, including In re Mary
   Clark (involving involuntary servitude)--which is now finding its way
   into other casebooks--Bailey, and a background section on the role of
   race in the Chicago Coliseum v. Dempsey case, among other material. So
   too in Constitutional Law, I stress the role of slavery without which
   you cannot fully appreciate the original form of federalism adopted by
   the founders. Of course, race is also needed to understand the 14th
   Amendment that altered that original structure.
   The challenge is to distinguish when race and gender is truly relevant
   and when it is not. Relevance will often be in the eyes of the
   beholder, but it is important for students to be aware that abstract
   rules and principles do not apply or enforce themselves. Indeed, this
   relates to the previous panel. Acknowledging our cognitive biases is
   one way we counteract those biases. On the other hand, what makes
   sense while studying law may not be as desirable when courts are
   applying it. We may want to critique decisions by taking race into
   account, while still contending that courts should strive to be as
   race neutral as they can.
   The Bailey court (unlike Justice Holmes) was conscious of Alphonso
   Bailey's race as it needed to be to recognize peonage when evaluating
   the constitutionality of this "race neutral" criminal statute. Yet it
   still justified its decision by "race neutral" principles that could
   be used to protect any citizen. It is not obvious to me why this is
   not the appropriate use of race along with the appropriate use of
   neutrality. But only if race can be raised in the classroom can we
   consider whether this defense of Bailey is warranted.
   Keith Rowley (UNLV) asks why Mrs. Glover could not be white which is
   why she turned in her daughter's black husband. Neil had proven Mrs.
   Glover's race by showing a picture of her son-in-law, who was clearly
   black. A nice point that is not inconsistent with Neil's basic thesis,
   as he himself raised the prospect that he might falsely be assuming
   that Mrs. Glover was black, which is why he did his research.
   Charles Knapp, asking the last question from the floor, confesses that
   he has been hard on Jay Feinman in his writings, which he justifies
   now on the ground that he was equally hard on your humble blogging
   correspondent. That got a big laugh too.
   All in all a very interesting and provocative session, but I am now
   late for the afternoon session.
   ([2]hide)