Posted by Jonathan Adler:
Power Bumps:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_02_15-2009_02_21.shtml#1234812896

   The Guardian [1]reports on British plans to install "'green' speed
   bumps" that will generate electricity as cars drive over them --
   costlessly, of course.

     The ramps - which cost between £20,000 and £55,000, depending on
     size - consist of a series of panels set in a pad virtually flush
     to the road. As the traffic passes over it, the panels go up and
     down, setting a cog in motion under the road. This then turns a
     motor, which produces mechanical energy. A steady stream of traffic
     passing over the bump can generate 10-36kW of power.

     The bumps can each produce between £1 and £3.60 of energy an hour
     for up to 16 hours a day, or between £5,840 and £21,024 a year.
     Energy not used immediately can be stored or fed into the national
     grid.

   I share the [2]skepticism at Coyote Blog, but we'll see.