Posted by Ilya Somin:
Reflections on the Final Episode of Battlestar Galactica:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_03_22-2009_03_28.shtml#1237844559

   Last Friday was the final episode of Battlestar Galactica. In my view,
   BSG was easily the best science fiction TV series of the last decade,
   and one of the two or three best SF series of all time. It had
   realistic characters, a fascinating setting, and did an insightful job
   of posing important political and moral issues. At least in the first
   two to three seasons, the show also had a more interesting and more
   realistic portrayal of political institutions than almost any other TV
   series - SF or otherwise. While I disagreed with the show's mostly
   left-wing political orientation, I also appreciated its many
   strengths. For previous posts discussing BSG and its portrayal of law
   and politics, see [1]here (including earlier linked posts below), and
   [2]here.

   However, as often happens with TV shows, the series' quality declined
   towards the end. And the final episode was in my view particularly
   weak. Further discussion below the fold, and includes major spoilers.
   Proceed at your own risk, and please don't complain about spoilers in
   the comments. Spoilers have happened before and they will happen
   again!

   ([3]show)

   [4]Bryan Caplan highlights the main weakness of the final episode: the
   colonials' decision to abjure modern technology once they reach Earth
   is utterly implausible and likely impossible to enforce on dissenters
   even if the majority were willing to make such a ridiculous decision.

   In addition to Bryan's well-taken points, I would note that Lee
   Adama's advocacy of this idea (which ultimately - and implausibly
   -persuades the others) is inconsistent with what we have seen of this
   character throughout the last four seasons: in the past, he always
   comes off as moderate and reasonable, and shows no sign of hostility
   to technology. More broadly, the show gives no reason for such a
   sweeping change of heart by the BSG humans in general. I can believe
   that a few idiosyncratic individuals might suddenly become extreme
   Luddites for no good reason. But why whould such a thing happen with
   an entire society that has long been highly dependent on advanced
   technology?

   A related issue is that the rejection of technology would have had to
   be very sweeping in order to avoid having a major impact on Earth's
   history. According to the show, the BSG fleet arrives at earth some
   150,000 years ago. Even if the colonials abandon all advanced
   technology, but retain simple technology equivalent to that, say, a
   bronze-age civilization, they would still give a massive jump start to
   Earth's economic development. After all, the stone age hunter
   gatherers of that era lacked agriculture, metalworking, and the
   domestication of animals until only a few thousand years ago.
   Introducing agriculture, metalworking, and domestication of animals
   100,000 years or more before these things happened in our history
   would have had a profound effect on later development. We would today
   be thousands of years more advanced than we actually are. Yet the last
   scene of the series shows a present-day United States more or less
   equivalent to what we have now. Thus, we have to assume that the
   colonials gave up not only space age technologies, but even such
   simple basics as agriculture and metalworking. This is highly
   unlikely, and even less likely in the case of the rebel Cylons who
   also stayed on Earth, have even more attachment to technology than the
   humans, and can live for thousands of years (thereby being able to
   influence Earth's development long after the Luddite human authorities
   of the BSG fleet have died).

   Unfortunately, the final episode is the last and most extreme
   manifestation of the show's general deterioration into a fairly crude
   and simple-minded leftism over the last season and a half. In my view,
   the Season 3 New Caprica occupation/resistance episodes were probably
   the start of this "shark-jumping" process. The screenwriters seemed to
   think that by having human resistance fighters resort to suicide
   bombing, they were making some kind of profound commentary on the Iraq
   War. But they evaded the crucial point that Iraqi terrorists were evil
   not so much because they used suicide tactics but because they
   targeted civilians and fought for an unjust cause (the establishement
   of a radical Islamist or Baathist dictatorship). The human fighters on
   New Caprica targeted Cylon forces and (occasionally) humans who were
   fighting on the side of the Cylons, and the justice of the resisters'
   cause was pretty obvious.

   I don't mean to be too critical. Overall, BSG was an outstanding
   series, and even the worst episodes were interesting to watch.
   Moreover, it is perhaps inevitable that a series will decline as the
   writers run down their stock of original ideas. I will also emphasize
   that the current BSG was far superior to the original 1978 series,
   even though the latter's politics were somewhat closer to my own
   views. Still, I can't help but be a little disappointed that the end
   of the series didn't live up to the high standards set by its
   beginning.

   ([5]hide)