Posted by Jonathan Adler:
Political Privilege & U. of Illinois Admissions:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_06_28-2009_07_04.shtml#1246217747

   The Chicago Tribune [1]reports on a brewing scandal at the University
   of Illinois law school. Government officials pressured U. of I.
   administrators to admit politically connected but unqualified
   applicants. Paul Caron rounds up more coverage [2]here.

   As [3]Brian Leiter notes, many of those attacking U. of I. officials
   are missing the bigger picture.

     the University of Illinois is hostage to the public purse for a lot
     of its operations, so every request for 'special consideration' on
     admissions from a politician with influence on the purse strings
     comes with an implied threat: admit this student, or lose funding.
     One can be sure Chancellor Herman understands that. [4]Attacking
     university officials over this scandal is like attacking the victim
     of a robbery for handing over his money.

   Leiter concludes: "the same story is waiting to be written about
   admissions at every state university in the country." I would like to
   think that public universities in some states are more insulated from
   political pressure -- Illinois is Blago country, after all -- but that
   may be a bit naive.