I would probably use green or yellow LEDs,  but the white ones should not be a
problem.
 I built an LED analyzer/integrating sphere and one of the features is a
circuit that optically measures the LED driver PWM frequency.  It can also
detect the minute variance in LED intensity from an LED driven by a 950 kHz
boost converter.  It also had no problems with a white LED driven at 4 MHz from
a signal generator.  You see the long persistence phosphors mainly in large
lighting LEDs and not in small indicator LEDs.