Randy,
Thanks for continuing with this modification.

Speaking of the Fluke 845A;
At first glance, you could probably leave the existing power supply inverter circuit intact, as well as the isolation transformer for the recorder output, with the recorder output transformer being driven (at the center tap) by the output of the last DC amp stage of the null amp circuit. That would maintain the isolation of the meter and recorder output, and eliminate the need for an extra amp for them. It would also maintain the guard integrity, keeping the instrument's operational characteristics as close to original as possible. By leaving the existing inverter circuit in place, you can easily derive any voltages (+ and -) that your mod needs from it, without the need for additional isolated power supplies

Dave M

Randy Evans wrote:
I finished the H-419A/Fluke 845A design modifications but I am still
trying to decide on the preferred power supply design.  The basic
meter circuit uses the LTC2054 and LTC6255 with two CR123 Li-Ion 3 V
batteries.  The
basic meter circuit draws less than 0.2 mA and with 1500 mAH CR123A
batteries should be able to go several thousand hours on a set of
batteries.   For the meter circuit, it is always battery powered and
doesn't have to be plugged into the mains.

I also added a TI  AMC1100 isolation amplifier for recording output
but it needs a 3.3 VDC isolated supply and a 5VDC output supply.  The
current design  uses separate isolation power supplies using  LT8300
ICs that work off the mains transformer so there would be no worry
about failing batteries.  Therefore, to use the recorder, the unit
would have to be plugged in. I am trying to decide if it would be
simpler to use batteries for the isolation circuit as well. If I use
batteries, do I use rechargeables or non-rechargeable batteries such
as the CR123s?  The
circuit would need one set for the input isolated circuit side and
another set for the recorder output side and the batteries would not
last as long
as the meter circuit since the isolation circuits draw about 12
milliamps. They would still work about one hundred hours most likely
and would not
draw any current unless the isolation circuit is turned on (with a
separate toggle switch).  My preference is to stay with the LT8300
power supplies
but I thought I would query the group.

Any thoughts on what would be your preferences?

Thanks,

Randy Evans

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Randy Evans <randyevans2...@gmail.com>