Eagle has a freeware version that is for non-commercial projects of smaller
physical size.   It is a very stable program... it has never crashed on me.
Eagle has LOTS of community support.
All the PCB services that I mentioned can fab boards directly from Eagle .BRD
files so you don't even have to mess with making Gerber files.  They all have a
preview function,  but OSHPARKs is the best.  You can submit files to OSHPARK,
preview them there, and not submit an order if you just want to verify your
design.