I've used both and settled on KiCAD. I have customers that use Eagle, so I have the most recent versions installed and use it on a regular basis as well.

Both Eagle and KiCAD have their quirks. There are a lot of library components for both. This isn't much of a factor for me because I always seem to build my own for projects. I find building KiCAD parts easier than Eagle, though I've heard others claim exactly the opposite.

Eagle has a larger user base and therefore support community. KiCAD has a smaller, but very effective support community.

My recommendation is give KiCAD a try. The real cost for either package is the learning curve, and I think KiCAD is easier to get productive in.

Oz (In DFW)