When AoE was released in 1980, the intended audience was electronics for a non-EE major. How this morphed into an engineering text shows how what is 'core' has changed. It had a friendly style, akin to having a instructor with you. AoE was best read in chapter sequence through the fundamentals, and higher chapters expect readers to know material from previous chapters without reference to it. On occasion it used concepts a jump forward but could be figured out by cross referencing its index. It was a semester course for us back in early 1980s.

AoE v2 updated more in the digital domain with many corrected errata and typos from V1.

I'd wait for V3 2nd printing or later, as typos from 1st printing are being reported as well as I read references to unpublished chapter "Xs" not in this printing.

T&S is an excellent text, if you already know the material and just need a refresher. It gets to the point quickly.

Only 2 T&S editions were translated to English; German has ?10+ editions. The only edition I ever looked at in print was v1, and it was $180+ in 1990s, compared to $50 for AoE new, or $20+ used. T&S used in the USA is harder to find, and few V1 I've seen sell near $100+.

Student or someone with a cursory interest, cost, writing style and similar breadth could be a tie breaker, AoE V3 sells for ~$100 delivered, and V2 $20-30 used. T&S V2 from 2008 is ~$US260 delivered.

At 04:33 AM 4/17/2015, Attila Kinali wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 08:24:38 +0000
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <p...@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> >How does it compare to the gold standard of the Tietze&Schenk?
>
> No idea.

If you know a bit of german, get yourself a copy of it.
You will love the in-depth explanations of the various
electronics compontents. Also you can use it to knock
out any burglar, should the need arise ;-)

> You have to remember that not everybody here are professional electronics
> people, I'm a software person who knows enough electronics to be useful
> without being dangerous, and I've certainly learned a lot from AOE3
> over breakfast this past week.

True that. The AoE gives at least a nice overview of quite a few
electronics techniques. And probably not the worst thing you can
start with, when you are new to electronics.

That said, I kind of miss the amateur radio/electronics literature
that was so abundant in the 80s. They really did a good job of
introducing various circuits and how successfully build them if
you don't have any professional equipment.

                        Attila Kinali