Todd,

you already have sent me the appropriate SelfCAL circuitry, but I did not recognize (understand) it as such!

I also received a hint from another volt-nuts, John, about the complete documents for the DATRON 1271 on the KO4BB site, which is very similar, and also contains a SelfCAL module, being a bit different than the one inside the 1281.

The schematics for the 1271, anhow reveal how the transformer inside this module provides different voltage ratios. The transformer there is labelled +9.93V, +/-7.23V (that's the main references value), 1.83V, 1.00V and 0.19V.

These ratios were generated with a precision switch mode / chopper circuit, and as the ratios on a transformer are very stable, you only have to measure them once during initial calibration.

Obviously that is good for ppm ratio accuracy in the SelfCAL procedure.

So thanks again

Frank