Hi Poul

When testing VCOs any noise on the control voltage causes a frequency change in
the output which can be characterized.
The HP/Agilent 4352 VCO tester contains a programmable DC supply with
exceptionally low noise.

Instead of headphones something like the HP 4395A which has a spectrum analyzer mode with a true RBW of 1 Hz to allow displaying root(Hz) noise levels (true I&Q detection rather than the old analog peak detection). http://www.prc68.com/I/4395A.shtml <http://www.prc68.com/I/4395A.shtml>

AFAICR there were some HP app notes on measuring power supplies which may have
included noise.

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke