There is another kind of static electric field meter that was commonly used over the past few decades for monitoring charges/voltages in work areas dealing with sensitive semiconductors. It has a small motor spinning a hollow brass cylinder that has a radial hole or slot that alternately shields and exposes a center cylinder inside, which is the pickup electrode. This action causes a small AC signal on the electrode, that can be amplified up to represent the electric field strength from any nearby object. The signal is then rectified and trips a comparator and LED indicator if the level exceeds a certain amount.

I have a couple of these units, but have never experimented with them yet. They don't show any kind of readout or provide a measuring signal - just the LED warning of excessive (unknown trip point) static charge nearby. I figured someday I would modify one up and add a signal output port and a sync output from the motor, allowing a lock-in analyzer to read the result over a wide range, and maybe even be fairly accurate or calibrate-able.

Ed