I will make one more attempt.

1. I claim that a laser produces extra energy when no magnet is used and when it
is orientated the manner I used.  Letts showed that the laser produced about the
same amount of energy I observed when the magnet was orientated in his manner.  He
claimed that he got the best effect when he used his orientation.  Perhaps a
better effect might result using his orientation, but the basic effect occurred
with and without a magnet.  This all I ever claimed.  Without actually using
Lett's magnets, it would be impossible to apply an identical field.

2. An isoperibolic calorimeter has an artifact when a magnetic field is applied.
Such fields change the internal thermal gradients so that the calibration no
longer applies.  Therefore, any claim based on such a calorimeter involving a
magnetic field can not be believed.

3. I'm confused as to why this is so important to you and why you insist that a
magnetic field is so important.  You or anyone else are free to explore the effect
of a magnet knowing that the basic claim has been reproduced. I assume you find
that word more acceptable than replicate.

Regards,
Ed

Horace Heffner wrote:

> At 7:09 AM 8/20/4, Edmund Storms wrote:
> >Horace, I seem to be having a hard time making my self understood.
>
> Funny, I too feel I have not been able to make myself understood.
>
> >The effect
> >of a magnetic field, no matter how it is orientated, is an artifact of
> >calorimeter used.
>
> In the Letts-Cravens experiment the magnetic field is not an atrifact, but
> rather a critical experimental variable.  Determination of the effect of a
> powerful magnetic field perpendicular to the laser beam is critical to
> establishing the theory.  If the magnetic field were not an important issue
> the why would both Letts and yourself bother to include powerful magnets in
> the experiment?  Why would there even be a discussion such as we are
> having?  This is not an artifact issue.
>
> I would certainly agree that it is unfortunate that no one bothered to
> quantify the fields involved in their publication, or possibly to even
> measure them or even compute them theoretically.  To that extent it can not
> be said one way or another the importance of the magnetic fields involved
> because they were not quantified.  It can only be said that Letts observed
> an experimental effect upon adding or removing the magnets.
>
> >Even if a magnet does have an effect, this fact could not
> >be determined by Letts because of this artifact.  I showed that a laser can
> >increase heat output of a F-P cell, exactly as Letts demonstrated.  This much
> >of the claim was replicated.  No one, at this time, knows if a magnetic field
> >would have an effect or not.
>
> This seems to be a major change of position on your part.  It is
> inconsistent with your recent statment on the issue: "I found that a
> magnetic field was irrelevant to producing the effect."

By that I mean that the basic effect occurs with and without a magnet.   The
magnet would be relevant if I found an effect when the magnet was applied and no
effect when the magnet was removed.  However, this is not the case.  It is
possible that the effect could be improved with proper orientation.  Such a
possible effect does not change the statement that the magnetic field is
irrelevant to the basic effect.

> >Someday, someone might properly determine if a
> >magnet is important.  Meanwhile, I and McKubre replicated the basic
> >observation.  You seem to think that the claimed effect of the magnetic field
> >has essential importance while I claim that producing extra heat using a laser
> >is the essential point.
>
> This is not my main point at all.  My principle objection is to *your*
> making any claims that your experiment made any determination whatsoever as
> to the effect of the magnetic field.

I claimed that the effect occurred whether the magnet was applied or not.
Therefore, I made a determination about the effect of a magnet. I did not explore
any details about how a magnet might improve the effect.

> You included the magnets in your
> experiments, but you oriented them so as to be ineffective.  You are
> misleading other researchers when you make statements like "I found that a
> magnetic field was irrelevant to producing the effect."  I am simply
> trying to get you to look at your experiment with a more thoroughly
> critical eye to see possibly *why* you determined there was no static
> magnetic field effect, contrary to Letts' results.

What would you expected me to see if I applied the magnet in the same way Letts
did?  Would you expect I would see a much bigger effect?  As it was, I saw almost
the same effect as Letts did with his magnet, but without a magnet.  You seem to
be complaining about why I don't see a bigger effect.  If you want to produce a
bigger effect, I suggest you explore some of the variables, including t magnetic
orientation.  I'm sure the effect can be made bigger several different ways.
However, don't get on my case because I did not try everything.

> That said, I do certainly do feel that *if* it is established through
> replication that a strong ambient magnetic field, oriented as Letts
> oriented his, parallel to the target surface and perpendicular to the laser
> beam, has an effect on power output, then that has monumental importance to
> the underlying theory and likely is of practical significance.  Any
> misstatements that lead to other researchers dismissing this kind of future
> research certainly require adressing at this point.

Of course.  Why would anyone not explore the effect of a magnet just because I
found the effect in the absence of a magnet?  I found the effect in the absence of
many possible variables being applied.  Does this mean that no more work should be
done on the effect?

> >The effect of a magnetic field, or for that matter
> >the temperature, the method of applying the gold, or the phase of the Moon at
> >the time are of lesser importance.
>
> You did not mention the phase of the moon in your publication.  You did
> state that you found no magntic field effect.  The assertion that there is
> no magnetic field effect, based on your experimental proceedure, is
> unwarrented.  If you had mentioned the phases of the moon or other red
> herrings, then those might be under discussion as well.

If you think that the magnetic field would improve the effect, you are free to
explore this variable.  I simply said that I saw no effect.

> >Based on your logic, no one has replicated
> >the F-P effect either because they have not used the same kind of calorimeter
> >used before, nor used Pd wire instead of plate, nor used Pd made by J-M, nor
> >worked in Utah.
> >
> >Regards.
> >
> >Ed
>
> You included the magnets in your experiment.  You bungled their selection
> or orientation.  You made false conclusions about the static magnetic field
> effect, and more importantly, drew conclusions that may lead other
> researches away from important lines of investigation.

Strong words that I find impossible to justify.