----- Original Message -----
From: "Edmund Storms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 5:57 PM
Subject: Re: Evangelical environmentalists

> revtec wrote:
>
> > I'm all for sound science including CF research.  I have spent hundreds
of
> > hours and thousands of dollars trying to coax some over unity
performance
> > out of a series of PAGD experiments, but only succeeded in finding some
> > interesting anomalies.

A little elaboration here:

I havn't fired up the PAGD apparatus since last April, because I was running
out of reasonable circuit variations to try.  Even though I have an
Aerospace degree, I in no way consider myself a scientist.  Mike Carrell
observed my early efforts in 1996 and referred to me as a tinkerer in a
later post. That may be an accurate assessment of my capability.

> > I remain strongly convinced that true religion and true science are
never in
> > conflict.
>
> Well Jeff, I agree.  However I would phrase this a little differently.
> I would say that a true understanding of science is never in conflict
> with a true understanding of the spirit reality.  The word "Religion"
> should not be used in this context because it is only an imperfect
> effort by man to understand the spirit reality, much like physics is an
> imperfect effort by man to understand the physical world. Both fields of
> study are fractured into warring factions because they are based on an
> imperfect understanding.

I really don't like the word religion, but I use it because that is the word
most people expect to see.  Religions in general are man's attempts at
reaching out to God.  Christianity, however, is God reaching out to man.

> This raises an additional issue with respect to the literal
> interpretation of the Bible. Some people argue that the statements in
> the Bible are exactly true even though they were made by men writing in
> another language, who believed the earth was flat and was the center of
> the only universe, and who were talking to an entirely different
> culture.

I have read the Bible cover to cover several times but have not encountered
in my recollection a verse implying that the earth was flat.  I could have
missed it.  Do you have a reference?

There are cases in the Bible where the author accurately reports a statement
which is untrue.  As an example, the scriptures state in many places that
there is life after death, but in the book of Ecclesiastes, Solomon says
there is not.  That is what he thought at the time he wrote it, and that
thought is accurately reported.  But, it is fairly clear to me that he was
nuts at the time he wrote it.  If you had 500 wives, how sane would you be?

>Nevertheless, God is supposed to have given these men
> superhuman and universal knowledge, evidence for which is not obvious in
> the text.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here.   Jeff