At 02:28 pm 27-02-05 -0500, Jed wrote:
>Frank Grimer writes:
>
>> I have a suggestion - but you will probably find it far
>> too Machiavellian. I believe, and I speak from real life
>> experience, that the best way to get people's attention
>> is to scare the shit out of them.

> I could frighten them if I could get their attention,

You want people's attention?

I'll give you people's attention.

Repeat the Pons and Fleishmann experiment, only this
time, instead of a one centimeter cube, use a 6 inch
cube.

In EXCESS HEAT, page 36, Beaudette writes,

Kevin Ashley was a graduate student of Pons in the
chemistry department. He witnessed the scene the
morning after the meltdown. "This one morning I walk
in, the door is open and Pons and Fleischmann are
in the room with Joe:.. The lab is a mess and there
is particulate dust in the air. On this lab bench
are the remnants of an experiment. The bench was one
of those black top benches that was made of very,
very hard material. There were cabinets under one end
of the bench, but the experiment was near the middle
where there was nothing underneath. I was astonished
that there was a hole through the thing. The hole was
about a foot in diameter. Under the hole was a pretty
good sized pit in the concrete floor. It may have been
as much as four inches deep.

"What really surprised me," Ashley continued, "was
that Stan and Martin Fleischmann had these looks on
their faces as though they were the car that had
just swallowed the canary. The:' were clearly not
displeased with this mess, They were happy about
what had happened. I was rather surprised by this,
very surprised by this."

I know how they felt. I felt exactly the same when I
inspected GRC clad buildings which were falling apart.
On one occasion at the high security Midland Bank
Computer Building in Sheffield my glee was so manifest
I had to explain to my minders that though they were
attending a funeral I was celebrating a wedding.

And if buildings crumble and grad students die - tough!
When will Americans learn that success in things that
really matter cannot be bought with dollars - it has
to be bought with blood. If Brits hadn't learned the
"blood, sweat toil and tears." lesson well in 1940s
the Falklands would now be under the jackboot of an
Galtieri dictatorship.

You want press attention?

I'll give you press attention.

Start a research program to develop a CF bomb with the
avowed intention of saving America by getting there
before the terrorists do. You will get all the press
attention you can handle - and then some. Probably
get quite a lot of financial support from crazy gun
lobby billionaires too, I shouldn't wonder.

As for global warming, only overfed western liberals
who've nothing better to worry about give a damn. Who
cares whether the world lasts another hundred or another
thousand years. We'll all be dead long before that anyway.

Cheers   ;-)

Frank Grimer