leaking pen wrote:

on the issue of fuel economy, a friend of mine just made a good point.
there are an estimated 170 million cars on the road.  if one in ten
(seems likely) have a one ounce
"support the troops" sticker, we are talking about a bit over a
million pounds of metal being shipped around daily.

Entertaining idea, but a typical sticker doesn't weigh an ounce. More like a gram, which would cut that million pounds down to about 30,000 pounds.

On the other hand, if you throw in the energy cost to manufacture all the American flags being flown at gas stations ever since the beginning of the war, the numbers start to look pretty impressive, I think.

And then there are the pickup trucks with the flags plastered over their back windshields. If we add the cost of accidents caused by reduced visibility out the back ... well, whatever...