At 10:05 AM 3/30/5, Jed Rothwell wrote:

>30 hp, by the way, seems a little low even for a lightweight electric car,
>based on the performance of my 40 HP Geo Metro. I think you need more like
>70 to 100 HP, even with a light, aerodynamic car. The Honda Insight has a
>73 hp engine and a 10 kW electric motor. The Toyota Prius has 110 hp,
>gasoline-electric combined.
[snip]

Gasoline is roughly 20,000 Btu/lb, and 6 lbs/gal, thus has about 120,000
Btu/gal.  A car that gets 30 mi/gallon at 60 mi/hr uses 2 gallons per hour,
or 240,000 Btu/hr = 94 hp.  However, if the motor is only 30 percent
efficient, the motor is really only putting out about 21 hp.  A car or
motorcycle that cruises at 60 mi/gallon at 30 percent efficiency is using
only about 10 hp to cruise.  For some reason I just find this fascinating.
The extra horsepower, which is indeed needed for normal and safe driving,
is really needed primarily for accelerating and hill climbing.  This is
obviously one of the reasons hybrids work so well - they can combine energy
sources when a power boost is needed, but cruise on a smaller motor.
Another reason is that electric motors are not Carnot limited, so can do a
lot better than 30 percent efficiency.  The problem is to get the recharge
capability running at high efficiency, so that's where fuel cells enter the
picture for hybrids.  With regard to hill climbing, most journeys are
closed circuit, so for each up meter travelled there is a down meter, and
regenerative breaking combined with freewheeling coasting should be able to
recover hill climbing energy using even moderately fast recharging
batteries, unlike the eneryg dissipated in high energy fast breaking.  Good
driving habits could thus substantially affect the milage that can be
obtained from fast recharge battery regenerative breaking.

You have pointed out that automated transportation systems (automated cars,
etc.) are the way to go.  Such a system would eliminate the safety
requirements for high vehicle horsepower and result in a much more
efficient transportation network.  In other words, lead footed idiots
really burn the fuel.

Regards,

Horace Heffner