At 4:29 PM 3/30/5, Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

>Why is it not better to use a gutsy electric motor, a small gasoline or
>diesel engine, and a battery pack?  That always seemed like the
>"reasonable" way to build a hybrid -- take a tip from diesel electric
>locomotives, that run the diesel engine at a very efficient constant
>RPM, and use the electric wheel motors with their very wide dynamic
>range to do the "impedence match" to the terrain.  The battery pack gets
>you onto the expressway and up the hills, and the petroleum based
>motor/generator provides all the electricity that you need while cruising.
>
>Obviously my intuition here is wrong.  Is there a 20 word explanation of
>why?

I'm no expert on this, but I'll give it a shot.  However 20 words is a bit
too little.  Here's a short answer:

If big energy batteries weighed nothing, cost nothing, and had no bulk, you
would need no gas motor.

A longer answer is size, cost and weight of electric motor, control, and
battery must be balanced to savings achieved by reduction in these
parameters due to transmission and fueled motor size reduction and
regenerative breaking.  Optimizing depends on the driving conditions for
the design.  It appears a good match for present battery systems is roughly
even sizes for the power of the two systems.  In this way a combined gas
motor/battery combination is available for big hill climbs or charging
while driving.  The motor does not need to be on while idling or even at
all times when cruising.  If you have a 30 hp gas motor and cruise at 60
mpg you have about 2/3 the motor output available for charging when
cruising, so can cruise more than half the time without the gas motor
running at all.   The vehicle can perform at half power on either pure
electric or pure gas motor.  When stopped in traffic no motor need run at
all.

The answer also depends on what kind of transmission is used for the gas
motor "impedence matching".  If no shifting transmission is used for the
gas motor, i.e. no gas power is put through a shifting transmission, but it
can direct connect in high gear for hill climbs or high speed driving, then
this doubles the hill climb horsepower without beefing up the transmission
or incurring the overhead for electric power generation from gas during the
cruise.  This overdrive type connection doesn't help low speed
acceleration, but low speed acceleration using electric motors is pretty
good anyway.  Acceleration could be improved using a fluidized or
electronic clutch connection between the gas motor and the overdrive
connection, or just by beefing up the transmission, but this is a
cost/benefit trade-off.

Another short answer: the gas motor doesn't need to run when you are
cruising unless you need to charge or to go uphill.

Regards,

Horace Heffner