-0400:
Hi,
[snip]
>Next generation nuclear reactors may well be cost effective, and they may
>be reasonably safe, although no one has found a good way to get rid of the
>waste yet.

Actually, there may be a several ways to "get rid" of the waste.
One of the most interesting I have seen is a patent that uses a
technique involving a form of NMR to speed up the decay of
isotopes that have a magnetic moment. That would leave those that
do not, however these could be returned to a reactor, to pick up a
spare neutron, and convert into an odd numbered isotope, which
could then be rapidly decayed. Needless to say, the decay process
itself would yield considerable energy, and some of the alpha
emitters might even be acceptable energy sources for mobile
applications.
One could also make a very nice "perpetual" light source, by
combining an alpha emitter and a fluorescent substance in a glass
base material (along the lines of the T based EXIT signs).
A sufficiently thick plain glass layer on the outside would absorb
any x-rays, particularly if lead glass were used.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

All SPAM goes in the trash unread.