FW Lew,  interesting gif 's  shown on your link.

You mention reversing the rotation of a vortex. We have a plexiglas test tank used for observing the generation of a vortex by a mixer.. see www.gasmastrrr.com for a view of the vortex pattern induced by a 3450 RPM rotating member.

Using a 3 phase motor permits us to reverse the phase and observe counter or clockwise rotation of the vortex . Being in the  northern hemisphere we notice a difference in the spiral of the vortex when clockwise rotation is inducing the vortex.
The dynamics of the " seething" cauldron of mixing motion produced in the glass tank demonstrates the energy released. The vortex produced actually causes some of the plexiglas bottom to vanish by electron action.

. A visual of the spiral vortices spun off the main vortex column can be seen  because the entrained air permits the vortices to be visible. We have a large tank with viewing windows for tests of larger HP units ( 5- 100 HP) that we use for our continued applied research in  testing " shapes" of various vacuum induction producing units. Some of the test logs are awesome.
For example. Aeration of  wastewater in a  small plant  bybubbling compressed air into the basin uses a set of 20HP blowers to produce the required air volume to transfer oxygen in sufficent quanities to aerate the basin over a 24 hour time frame.

 We tested an air induction unit of 5HP and achieved better oxygen transfer rate results than with the two 20HP blowers. The air induction feeder mixer literally lifted the bottom solids up into the spiral vortex and  recirculated the entire basin water past the rotating member as it feed air at velocity shear of 105 f/p/s. Attempts to calculate  the oxygen transfer rate we recorded via a DO analyzer was a waste of time because the empirical data developed over time that was used to derive the math formula was in such conflict with the DO recordings.

These years of data collected by tests of various shapes are beginning to mature into some interesting new ideas on ultrahigh speed rotation  for inducing vortexes. Our tests to date on these high speed units have been hindered by failures of the mechanical drives. Speeding up the rotation past 3450 RPM up  to max of 10,000 RPM using sheaves and VFD drive control has brought us a whole new set of problems with premature failure.

In thr real world of industrial products, a manufacturer like us must first demonstrate the device will run without failure for the time it takes to amortize the investment. As in the case of stockbrokers, the users want to overcome the cost in under two years and in more and more cases they want a max of 6 months recovery of costs.

All of which makes life most exciting to the designer while  the vortex mystery play moves to the next act.

Richard

<<Blank Bkgrd.gif>>