I have been following up on the possibility that
the proximity of c to the integer three times ten
to an integral power might not be the coincidence
it logically seems but a manifestation of a subtle
connection between water and light.

Crazy - possibly <grin> - but certainly fun -
and a way of painlessly learning a lot more about
the properties of water and light.  8-)

One thing I remember from schooldays is that the
refractive index for water is about 4/3. Here
again we have a suggestive ratio, albeit only
spot on for orange light at about 600 nm.

There is some very useful stuff on refractive
indices and the like at the following URL

http://www.philiplaven.com/p20.html

I found the most interesting graph was
Figure 6 which shows the imaginary part of the
refractive index, i.e. the measure of absorption.
The really significant bit it the way it peaks at
around 100 nm (shades of blacklight, eh!). It is
not until the wavelength reaches the mm range
that the imaginary part again comes as close to
the real part.

There is some intriguing, stuff on other pages of
the site as well. For instance this rather macabre
example of a glory:

             http://www.philiplaven.com/p2c.html

       Fig. 4 may be the first image of a glory
       observed from space.  It was recorded on
       28 January 2003 by the MEIDEX (Mediterranean
       Israeli Dust Experiment) instrument on board
       the space shuttle Columbia - which tragically
       burnt up on re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere
       on 1 February 2003 resulting in the deaths of
       all 7 members of the crew.   The MEIDEX Science
       Team at Tel Aviv University found this fascinating
       image whilst examining the results of MEIDEX and
       suggests that the term "Astronaut's glory" should
       be used "in honor of our friends from the
       Columbia crew".

Frank Grimer