Moin Moin!

I think the first time I was in Switzerland was in 79 or 80.  I landed in
Geneva, and took a train around to the Montreux - Vevey area.  It was late
Springtime, and I was completely knocked out by the sheer beauty of the
place.  The trees were in full bloom, the grass was green, and there were
flowers growing everywhere.

I stayed in several chalets up in the mountains, and in every one, the
proprietor would show me pictures of what the place looked like the year
before.  There had evidently been some hard, warm rains in the previous
Spring which caused massive landslides.  From the photos, everything was a
brown, mucky mess.  Roads were washed out, chalets were half buried in mud.
It was hard to believe that I was standing in the same place.

I agree that this action by the ski resort is only treating an environmental
symtom, but I am sure that the local insurance companies are all giving it a
thumbs up.  The property damage claims from the mudslides must have been
enormous.

Knuke