Jones,

You wrote-

>Jon,

[snip my stuff]

     http://jlnlabs.imars.com/mahg/tests/index.htm

>He says that he measures rms volts times rms amps and gets real power.
>....and he says he does it with THREE different meters, analog ammeter
included!!

 >ERGO....

>He must surely measure at the battery itself, no? Why wouldn't he - cheap
and effective. That is supposed to be the  real >beauty of using a battery
PS in the first place.... so why not take full advantage? You seem to be
saying that he would have >missed this simple expedient... but that seems
unlikely to me.

>However we will not know for sure, unless we get some response. Hopefully
it will be soon. I suspect that there are several >people making plans now
for a replication.

>....how hard can it be to just put an analog ammeter on the  battery - and
then nobody can complain about a claim of 4-5 >watts P-in, right ?  If and
when, or course, you are showing 400 milliamps or thereabouts on the
ammeter... or maybe I >should ask Steve Lawrence IF this is where the
internal resistance of the battery might be a major factor?

>At any rate, I just cannot believe he would have overlooked this
measurement with his ammeter.OTOH it _has_ been a bad >day...

>Jones

After reading thru all Naudin's MAHG tests, I've come to the conclusion that
his input power measurements are taken at the tungsten filament. He is not
measuring at the power source itself which would yield much higher input
power figures and this is what is leading to the confusion. IOW,  POWER
INPUT = FILAMENT CURRENT(RMS) * FILAMENT VOLTAGE (RMS) which is the RMS
power input to the device. This is OK however because in a real world
application, the power to the filament(s) could be supplied by a switching
supply or an energy shuttle which would typically run at an efficiency of
95% or so. Also, the average input power consumption would less than the RMS
thus actually improving the COP's if his output power measurements are
accurate.

Jon F