Christopher Arnold wrote:

Ed,
Some people love to distort the true intent of a post by quoting out of context or nitpicking to cause an argument. Both tact's are counterproductive but to be expected in any endeavor designed to increase our understanding of Fusion science or even general science, as some are against progress while most are indifferent to ideas beyond their grasp.

Very true, Chris. However, the distortion is usually based more on the personality of the responder than on the subject. Some people can not stand the idea that someone else has a thought that is contrary to their own.
Real progress in fusion will begin when the lead scientists admit that magnetic confinement is an excessive waste of power - and get rid of it. That will force them to look at Farnsworth type fusion at the expense of the Tokamak cash cow, and reason will give way to common sense and Tokamak will continue to be touted as the "correct" fusion method.

I would not count on rejection of hot fusion happening anytime soon. Too much money, too many people, and too many companies are involved. For CF to get the required attention, someone needs to produce a demonstration like the one shown in the movie, "The Saint". Meanwhile, private money will continue to explore the subject until such a demonstration is possible.

Regards.
Ed

Bottom line - we must succeed in spite of the current fusion experts, people like Pons, Fleischmann, Mizuno, Dr. Storms, Richard Hull, Jed Rothwell and the rest of "US" - or fusion for power will continue to be out of reach. Chris

Edmund Storms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    I think people in the CF field know and appreciate that two separate
    issues are important to the field. The first addresses whether the CF
    effect is real or not, and the second addresses whether commercially
    useful energy can be produced. It is clear that the effect is real, but
    it is not yet clear whether useful energy can be made. A few watts in a
    laboratory does not count when addressing the second issue, which is
    the
    thrust of the NG article. Most laboratory devices can not be scaled up
    in their present form. Until the effect can be produced near the
    kilowatt level on demand, the phenomenon can not be considered useful.
    Of course, this fact does not justify rejection of the claims as is
    common these days. I might add that the same criteria should be applied
    to hot fusion. In this case, the method is not useful unless excess
    ! power is in above megawatts because the size of the device is so
    large.

    Ed

    Mitchell Swartz wrote:

     > At 06:34 PM 7/23/2005, Ed Storms wrote:
     >
     >> Actually, the article was good and the statement about cold
    fusion was
     >> accurate. Cold fusion is not yet a source of energy of any value.
     >> Cold fusion is, however, a demonstrated phenomenon, which might
    have a
     >> value in the future, a possibility the article leaves open.
     >>
     >> Ed
     >

     > Flip flop. Actually, Ed Storms previously wrote just the opposite:
     >
     > Proof:
     > "The National Geographic in the August issue has a good article
    on the
     > energy problem. They even mention cold fusion - "A few scientists
    have
     > claimed that cold fusion, which promises energy from a simple jar
     > instead of a high-tech crucible, might work. The verdict so far:
    No such
     > luck." The article goes on to point ! out the most serious
    problems with
     > hot fusion. Not bad, we are now at the "verdict so far" stage.
    However,

Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=34442/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs>