I've been re-reading one of Puthoff's old papers
from 1986, which was recenly referred to on Vortex,
viz,

Ground state of hydrogen as a zero-point-fluctuation-
determined state
http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRD/v35/i10/p3266_1

Perhaps re-reading is a wild exageration since I find
reading that kind of stuff like wading through treacle.

However, I did find myself in sypathy with the executive
summaries, i.e. the

ABSTRACT

We show here that, within the stochastic electrodynamic
formulation and at the level of Bohr theory, the ground
state of the hydrogen atom can be precisely defined as
resulting from a dynamic equilibrium between radiation
emitted due to acceleration of the electron in its
ground-state orbit and radiation absorbed from zero-point
fluctuations of the background vacuum electromagnetic
field, thereby resolving the issue of radiative collapse
of the Bohr atom.

and the tail end of the discussion,

Finally, it is seen that a well-defined, precise quantita-
tive argument can be made that the ground state of the
hydrogen atom is defined by a dynamic equilibrium in
which collapse of the state is prevented by the presence of
zero-point fluctuations of the electromagnetic field. This
carries with it the attendant implication that the stability
of matter itself is largely mediated by ZPF phenomena in
the manner described here, a concept that transcends the
usual interpretation of the role and significance of zero-
point fluctuations of the vacuum electromagnetic field.

but I would prefer to come at it starting with the neutron.

Whilst in a nucleus the neutron is protected from being bashed
around by the ZPE particles but once it gets outside it's only
a matter of time before it's pummelled into the stable state
of the hydrogen atom in its various configurations.

Frank Grimer