OrionWorks wrote:

I'm getting off-topic here (my apologies) but I couldn't resist bringing up a fascinating
speculative book on human evolution I read back in the late 60s, "The Naked
Ape" by Desmond Morris. In one of Desmond's chapters he made what I thought were
convincing speculations claiming that some of our ancestors had adapted themselves to
working within a water environment. Some of the most convincing human traits we currently
possess that Desmond brought up to support an aquatic heritage are:

1) Fat deposits over most of our body: Fat deposits smooth the body's surface
area causing less drag while gliding through water. Desmond stated that our
nearest genetic relatives, Chimps, Gorillas, etc... have no fat deposits in the
same manner that we possess. They possess have far less fat. (I suspect most
simians don't enjoy taking baths either, with a few notible exceptions!)

2) Loss of hair: Loss of hair adds to increased efficiency in swimming through
water. Less drag.

3) Direction of hair: What hair that is left on human body parts, particular
hair on the back, neck and shoulders possesses a curious directional flow
patter that would match how water would naturally flow past the body surfaces
as one propelled oneself through water.

As for me, like many humans, I love swimming, diving, and splashing about and
was fortunate to have grown up in environments that allowed me quality time to
snorkel and dive in the ocean. Guam, particularly. I can still hold my breath
under water for more than two minutes if I put some mental effort into it.

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com

*Elaine Morgan is the major proponent of the theory* http://www.primitivism.com/aquatic-ape.htm

*Jim Moore its major opponent on the web*  http://www.aquaticape.org/
I think their both wrong. We are wonderfully made. I have Elaines Aquatic Ape book somewhere.