Actually Jones, light water is no longer used as a control in F-P calorimeter. The idea of using this as a control was based on total ignorance of how the experiment is actually done. If the cell is sensitive to where temperature is measured, light water will give an entirely different behavior because it has a slightly different heat transport rate compared to D2O. People now use calorimeters that are not based on measurement of electrolyte temperature, hence do not suffer from the errors attributed to early work. The calorimeters are calibrated using an internal resistor and/or a dead cathode. Agreement between the two calibrations shows that the calorimeter can be trusted.

By the way, I suggest my calorimeters are the most accurate now being used, with an error of ±20 mW over the range of 0-25 watts of applied power. In addition, it takes about 2 minutes to install a new sample. Can you beat that Scott? I will describe the calorimeters at ICCF-12.

It is my understanding that normal water contains 6000 ppm of D2O, not 300 ppm. Experiments show that even a small amount of H2O in D2O will kill heat being produced from a F-P cell. Therefore, it is unlikely the small D2O impurity in H2O will have any effect.

Regards,
Ed

Jones Beene wrote:

The idea was light-heartedly tossed out that the
unusual high failure-rate of Lithium-ion batteries
might possibley have something to do with LENR.

This battery is an example of a well-engineered item
in high mass-production. Perhaps 100 million batteries
have been produced for many application (maybe far
more) so the "normal" kinks or manufacturing bugs
shuold have been worked out long ago - yet we have
failures, and often the blame is laid on the
manufacturer for a bad batch. I'm not so sure that
there isn't more to the story than a manufacturing
snafu.

Ltihium is certainly associated with many OU
experiments, though most of them are using Pd and
deuterium (heavy water). But there is natural
deuterium in any aqueous lithium solution, and other
metals in electrodes could be active also - certainly
Ni and Pt.

I think I will suggest this to EarthTech - home of the
"MOAC" or mother of all calorimeters - supposedly the
most accuate one around - that they test a number of
ltihium batteries from a "bad batch" to see if there
is any heat anomaly...

Jones

BTW there are tons of papers on LENR/CANR having to do
with lithium-D-Pd cells in OU heat mode....  and
generally Hydrogen is used for the control. That
raises one issue.

Wouldn't it be something if - all along - the
'control' setup was OU too, and that some of the
failure to clearly show OU (vis-a-vis the cotrol)
relate to lack of a "real" OU control. IOW both H and
D are active, but D is often more active - and this is
apart from the 300 PPM of D which is naturally in
water.