----- Original Message -----
From: "OrionWorks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2005 10:06 AM
Subject: Re; deriving Power from Atmospheric PD

> From: RC Macaulay
>
> > John Coviello wrote..
>
> > For example, studying five years of atmospheric readings from
> > Flagstaff and Tucson, Arizona, with an elevation difference of
> > 3,700 feet, separated by 250 miles, they found the pressure
> > difference to be in the range of 0.5 to 0.7 psi (pounds per
> > square inch) on a daily basis, never going below 0.5 psi.

> > Terminal velocity of standard air can be reached at near 5 psid.
> > Calculating an air flow through a 2.5 meter diameter pipe, 250
> > mile long at a flow of 2500 miles per hour give me a headache
> > and a big question mark??? Anyone at the patent office notice
> > what the head loss would be ?? How about the weight of air at
> > respective elevations ?? Hmmm. Rube Goldberg would love it.
> >
> > Richard
>
> Wait a minute!
>
> Unless I've completely misread something critical (The technology page is
extreemly sparse) it seems to me that a key point completely missing from
the equation is the fact that the pressure difference between Flagstaff and
Tucson is (I suspect) primarily DUE to the fact that there is a 3,700 feet
difference in altitude between the two cities. Lower elevation will
naturally have a denser atmosphere, translating to higher pressure. If my
some magic both cities could be stacked vertically one on top of the other
where one remained 3,700 feet higher in elevation the psi pressure
difference between the two cities would likely STILL be, I would imagine,
around 0.5 psi.

> So what. That doesn't mean energy can be extracted from the psi
difference.

> There is no way to take advantage of an altitude difference in pressure
differences. The combination of accumulated atmospheric mass and gravity
generate the atmospheric pressures between the different altitudes as a way
to EQUALIZE stored energy in the form of atmospheric pressure. There is no
(stored) inherent energy that can be extracted from such a scenario. Said
differently: Seems to me that the only way one could take advantage of
different psi atmospheric values would be if both city locations were
situated at the exact same ALTITUDE while still maintaining a diference in
psi levels. They clearly are not!

> If this scenario were possible it seems to me that a long time ago there
would have been generators constructed up on top of high elevation mountains
with wind pipes traveling all the way down to the base to take advantagea of
the difference in psi pressures.