Harry Veeder wrote:

Wesley Bruce wrote:

Is you world view big enough for God? His is big enough for you.

An atheist would interpret this as a personal request. Based on his beliefs
you are asking him if his world is big enough for you. If the atheist
has a big heart he would say yes.

Harry

Well said Harry. If an atheist doesn't try to kill my rights to my faith or ban me from speaking then he or she is OK and free to have their choice of faith. Yet on their dieing the true test begins and the question of absolute truth or absolute oblivion is faced.
The scientist Pascal was asked of his faith. He answered with a wager.
See http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pascal-wager/
I'll pluck a table from the site.
Following McClennen 1994, Pascal's argument seems to be best captured as presenting the following decision matrix:

/*God exists*/

/*God does not exist*/

/*Wager for God*/

Gain all

Status quo

/*Wager against God*/

Misery

Status quo

In other words

   * If I believe in God and I am right what do I gain? All the
     pleasures of eternity.

   * If I am wrong what do I loose? A few passing pleasures and then
     oblivion.

   *  If I disbelieve in God and there is life after death and some
     judgement. What do I loose. Everything when I discover that I will
     be held responsible for my actions up to the extent of my
     knowledge. God honours my demand for his absence, and creates a
     place where he is not found and I then discover that the simple
     absence of God is hell itself and it is awful indeed for he is the
source of unselfish goodness.
   * If I disbelieve in God and there is no life after death, what do I
     gain. Nothing of great value. A fleeting sense of freedom and then
     oblivion.