Alain Sepeda <alain.sep...@gmail.com> wrote:

on 22passi, some skeptic refers to an old story of 1995 about CETI

> I don't understand all, but it seems not to be honest story? (remind me
> some greek sad joke, but I wait for confirmation)

It was honest as the day is long. I wrote it. I do not understand why
Krivit left my name off of it.

The demonstration was impressive in many ways, but it was also atrocious in
other ways. They used inadequate instruments with no computer. George Miley
turned to me and said something "these are amateur instruments, aren't
they?" They sure were. I later found out this was deliberate. CETI wanted
to impress Motorola but they wanted everyone else at PowerGen to think this
was an amateur mistake. That's what Redding told me. That was one of the
most mind-boggling statements I have ever heard.

The whole thing was a farce in many ways. When I arrived at the hotel, at
first they refused to let me confirm the results. I was fit to be tied. I
told them I would leave at once, take the next plane back to Atlanta, and
publish a note saying they reneged on their agreement. They reconsidered,
so I was able to write that report. A few weeks later I found they were
using it in their PR package, without telling me. Later Swartz published it
in his newsletter, again without telling me. When I later published it, he
accused me of plagiarizing it!

If I had not confirmed the results with my own instruments, I would not
have discovered the problems described in paragraph 6, and the whole test
would have been wrong.

Dennis Cravens set up this experiment. He knows much more about it than I
do.

Despite the problems, I think the results were real, but there was no
follow up or independent confirmation so we cannot be sure. Unfortunately,
Redding died soon after that, and Patterson lost heart and did not do much
more research before he also died.