Its not clear that he owes everything to Fleischmann & Pons.  If they had
not published, he might well have developed his theory from his original
motivation, which was high temperature superconductivity.  Given fractional
Rydberg states its clear that their pusuit would be a new source of
energy.  While it is certainly no fault of Fleischmann & Pons, it may even
be the case that Mills would have marketed an energy technology years
earlier if they had not published and triggered hysterical opposition from
the "authorities".

Stolper's book on Mills
<http://www.amazon.com/Genius-Inventor-controversy-historical-contemporary/dp/1419643045>
has passages such as that concerning high-temperature superconductivity on
p105:

"Mills began the sustained work on his reformulation of quantum theory in
the fall of 1988, when he became interested in high-temperature
superconductivity.  He wondered whether it would be possible at room
temperature.

He soon found that he couldn't get a grip on the problem with standard
quantum mechanics... In Anderson's opinion, superconductivity needed an
entirely new theory.  Mils carried that opinion to its logical extreme,
which was further than any other investigator of superconductivity cared to
go:  develop a new quantum theory, not just a new theory of
superconductivity"