In a TRISO pellet nuclear reactor, the pellets are passively safe. There
thermal expansion when heated to high temperatures reduces there reactivity
to such a high degree that the reactor stops of its own accord.

A pellet reactor is intrinsically safe and cannot meltdown. However, such a
reactor has other drawbacks. These drawbacks can be mitigated if a molten
salt is used as a coolant to replace helium.

In my concept of a LENR based TRISO pellet reactor, a two way thermal diode
control layer build from thermally insolating  material must be developed
to transfer heat into the pellet core only when the temperature is below
1400C. When the core reaches 1400C and above, the control layer reverses
heat flow so that heat can only flow out of the core and not into it. This
control layer is the control mechanism that stabilizes the temperature in
the reactor.

As a systems engineering requirement of the LENR TRISO pellet, this control
layer is in direct contact with the core of the pebble. It may be built
using one direction micro heat pipes(two way simplex interface) using
lithium as the heat transfer medium imbedded in the isolating layer
material where the set of heat pipes function until the temperature gets to
1400C, then the heat input set shuts down at 1400C and above. The other set
of heat micro lithium based heat pipes function in an opposite fashion
where heat above 1400C is sent to the surface of the pellet but they shut
down at temperatures lower than 1400C.

Such a LENR pellet design will be passively safe.