To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 7:50 AM
Subject: Re: [Vo]:vortex mass

This exchange got me thinking about how mass is represented
mathematically. Newton wrote his Principia and formulated his three
laws of motion before the invention of vector algebra. Bearing this in
mind, I would argue the only quantity in Newton's principia which
posseses vector-like attributes is mass. The assumption that velocity
and acceleration in Newton's principia can be treated as vectors is an
interpretation of the three laws. However, vectors cannot be
systematically applied to mass without contradiction because according
to the first law mass of the same quantity can be both moving in a
specified direction and at rest without a specified direction.
Mathematicians who were keen to apply the techniques of vector algebra
avoided this problem by designating mass as a scalar quantity, but
this too is an interpretation. The question arises is there a
mathematically sensitive way to capture mass's dual quality instead of
reducing it to a scalar quantity?

Harry