From: AlanG [mailto:a...@magicsound.us]
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2015 8:47 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: [Vo]:Questions Raised by Parkhomov Experiment Failure

Consider this issue in the context of Dave Roberson's analysis. Suppose there
is a critical temperature where XH suddely appears in part of the fuel. That
heat pulse could propagate rapidly through the fuel, causing the positive
feedback Dave identified. Such a hot spot could increase pressure and stress on
the tube very quickly, leading to failure.

It seems likely that given a thermal time constant of several seconds or more,
negative feedback control of the heater by an external thermocouple won't be
fast enough to catch a runaway reaction. A pressure sensor would be much
faster, but there would still be substantial delay as heat would continue to
propagate through the tube into the core, after heater power is cut. Bob's
fan-assisted convection cooling is a good safety measure, but will it be fast
enough? I look forward with great anticipation to his experiment.

This is a classic servo problem, and two other solutions come to mind. The
system could run open-loop, with an algorithm that reduces heater power as the
core approaches the critical temperature. Lots of research and data collection
are needed to fine tune the control parameters, and those will vary between
cores and fuel mixtures.

What if the reactor used induction heating rather than a resistance coil. The
heat is generated directly in the fuel mass, so the thermal response time is
much faster. With a pressure sensor, maybe the control loop would be quick
enough to correct for the positive feedback at the critical temperature.