At 04:39 pm 19/12/2005 -0500, hohlraum wrote:

>Yes, I understand your point and should expand on mine.  I see all that
>is as being continuous and it doesn't depend on what 'is' is <g>.  We
>just don't see it All.

We certainly don't. "For in him were all things
created in heaven and on earth, visible and
invisible, whether thrones, or dominations, or
principalities, or powers." and if I may make
so bold, the Beta-atmosphere.   ;-)

We don't see the thrones, or dominations, or
principalities, or powers. Well, not unless they
choose to put in an appearence, which they don't
very often. And we don't see the B-a - except
intellectually - and then it's possibly only
me and thee - as the story goes.  8-)

>BTW, just what is it that separates your Beta-atmosphere densities?
>What keeps the pressure different inside versus outside?

Good question. It must be analogous to negative water pressure. i.e.
there must be a curved meniscus between the atoms of a metal say.
Whilst on the subject, Dalton is the one to blame for introducing the
idea of bonds as little sticks. This precluded the recognition of the
state within metals as being a general low pressure in the pore phase.

I know I use the analogy of ties and struts but I know it is only
a model and I do so because it makes is easier to separate out the
two types of strain energy, positive (compression) and negative
(tension).

Another way of answering your question is to see it as analogous to
osmosis. This is a deeper way of looking at things cos it entails
a dynamic equilibrium with flows in and out. (cf radiation equilibrium)

Frank