I skimmed through it, one thing that struck me was that they hit 1372°C for
10 minutes.  I have serious doubts that their stainless steel vessel could
have survived such a temperature (barely bellow melting) - which makes me
suspicious of an error somewhere, this is above where k-type thermocouples
would typically be expected to be accurate or reliable.  Also melting point
depression would have melted nickel powder at such temps destroying (what I
thought was important) nickel surface morphology.

They seem to have good resources so hoping they do better calorimetry in
future.