Why Edison Triumphed: Joseph Swan worked on the incandescent light idea
since 1850. Swan did not succeed because he used only a partial vacuum in
his bulb. He also used a carbonized paper filament. Edison figured out how
to create a pure vacuum in his bulbs. He did this by heating up the bulb at
the same time that he pumped out the air. He used a Sprengle pump.