From: Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Tue, Oct 13, 2015 6:28 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Electron-mediated alpha decay in quasi-stable isotopes

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 1:58 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

We need a better understanding of exactly what happens to a gas which undergoes
a rapid increased to particle numbers followed by a return to it initial
composition in this type of environment.

I was thinking in terms of an "adiabatic" system.  Imagine the system is
completely isolated from the external environment, and that there are
reflective walls in the containment that reflect any radiated energy back to
the engine.  Here we have a closed system.

In this case, it seems like the release of energy of the alpha emitter is
efficiently transmitted into mechanical energy by way of the expanding ionized
gas.  Any increase in temperature as the gas recondenses will be smaller than
the initial energy released by the alpha emitter when the decay was induced, as
some of it will go to heating the motor.  It is here that Robin's question
becomes interesting (assuming I've understood it).  If we work backwards from
the work needed to move the piston through a cycle, we can ask, how much
induced alpha activity is needed in order to provide the work for a full cycle,
and how much alpha emitter would that imply?  Is the scenario even realistic?

Eric