Hi,
[snip]
>In this case, it seems like the release of energy of the alpha emitter is
>efficiently transmitted into mechanical energy by way of the expanding
>ionized gas.  Any increase in temperature as the gas recondenses will be
>smaller than the initial energy released by the alpha emitter when the
>decay was induced, as some of it will go to heating the motor.  It is here
>that Robin's question becomes interesting (assuming I've understood it).
>If we work backwards from the work needed to move the piston through a
>cycle, we can ask, how much induced alpha activity is needed in order to
>provide the work for a full cycle, and how much alpha emitter would that
>imply?  Is the scenario even realistic?
>
>Eric

Suppose that the spark current speeded up the alpha decay. For the duration of
the spark there would be intense alpha emission producing significant ionization
of the compressed gasses in the cylinder. As soon as the spark stopped, so would
the alpha decay (almost). At that point the plasma is rapidly recombining, and
no new ions are being created. The plasma that was already expanding due to the
increase in number of particles, now continues to expand despite the
recombination, due to the thermal energy release of the recombination.
This is the "work" stroke of the engine. After the work stroke is complete the
gas is conveyed into an adjacent chamber where it is recompressed.

If the engine is cooled, then the recompression won't be completely adiabatic
because some of the heat will be removed by the cooling system during
compression. This helps achieve a high compression, without expending too much
energy, because the temperature doesn't run up so much.

BTW, as you might have guessed, I have a different view on the energy source. ;)

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk