From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2015 1:32 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Cross section reduction at lower energies

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 9:40 PM, Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

  On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Stefan Israelsson Tampe
<stefan.ita...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Good question, as I understand there is standing wave fields between the
shells so the volume is indeed filled up electromagnetically couldn't this
explain what you are after.

  The volume in question here is the nuclear volume and not the atomic volume,
where the electrons reside.  In the case of a 0+ to 0+ transition, my copy of
Krane's Introductory Nuclear Physics says that this is an electric monopole
transition (E0), and it can happen when an even-even nucleus transitions from
an excited 0+ state to a 0+ ground state.  Although there is no radiation field
for this transition beyond r > R, at r < R (i.e., inside the nucleus) there is
a monopole distribution where the potential does fluctuate, and this is what is
sampled by the electron.  I take from this that the electron will not feel
anything outside of the nuclear volume since the E0 radiation field cancels out
at r > R. (Here we've started to venture beyond my understanding of the topic.)

  Eric
Honestly, I'm pretty weak when it comes to nuclear physics. I have the tools to
understand it but are in practice ignorant. But I have a comment. I view Mills
theory as a steady state theory. If the nucleus is in a transition state
one could imagine that the nice and clean setup is broken and the constraints
you poses are no longer valid e.g. the fields inside the nucleus can
communicate EM wise with the inner electrons.
/Stefan