From: Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sun, Oct 25, 2015 9:24 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:slide deck for ultradense hydrogen / Leif Holmlid

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 8:05 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

Being a skeptic, I have to question the Pauli exclusion principal itself.  How
do we know that it is actually a physical reality?  It may have appeared true
during most of the previous experimentation, but how can we be sure it is
anything more than an observation that has worked up until now?

The Pauli exclusion principle is your friend.  It is why rigid bodies are
rigid.  It is why you and I are not falling towards the center of the earth.
It's why additional electrons must occupy higher levels in atomic orbitals once
lower ones are filled.  It is why neutron stars don't collapse into a single
point [1].

I think of fermions as being a class of wave that is susceptible to destructive
interference.  When two electrons of the same wavefunction are near one
another, they begin to cancel one another out.  This means that the closer you
approach the region in which they would otherwise overlap, the less you will be
likely to see either.  This is a very intuitive explanation for me, since it's
clear that waves sometimes destructively interfere with one another.

If we set aside the Pauli exclusion principle, we must be prepared to offer an
alternative explanation for all of the things above.

Eric

[1] http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/astro/pulsar.html#c3