I have been working on an algorithm to detect excess heat in a slightly
different way, but wanted to see if others could perhaps provide some
insight.

Here are my thoughts:

1) utilize an on/off heating and cooling cycle within a specified range
(e.g., 1000-1200C) - input power turns off at 1200C and back on at 1000C
and repeats
2) compare this to a steady state run at the average temperature from the
cycling range (let's say 1100C)

If you have a theoretical excess heat running continuously at 20W in both
conditions would you expect the average input power in #1 to be greater
than #2.  I suspect the answer may be no, unless the excess heat is truly
capable of self-sustaining the reaction for a period of time.

I would welcome any thoughts on this process.  I suspect Dave could speak
well to this from the perspective of his simulations.

Thanks,
Jack