Jack, I would expect the output power to be greater for your first case(1) due
to the tendency of the core activity to 'stick' longer at the highest
temperature.  This effect is mainly due to the time constant being lengthened
by the positive feedback acting like a negative resistance.  When you are
operating at the lower temperature, the thermal time constant is shorter and
temperature changes occur at a more rapid pace.

It appears to be the tendency to 'stick' that leads to the highest COP.  If
your control system is capable of maintaining the temperature at very nearly
the level where the input power required becomes zero watts, the COP will be
enormous.  I have simulated a system using negative feedback of a traditional
linear nature and it appears to work fairly well.   And, of course a PWM drive
signal will also work.

To answer your question, I would expect it to require less total input power in
the case of the PWM drive signal(1) operating between two moderately separated
core temperature levels than with input drive producing a fixed temperature
level at the average between them(2).  This effect will become much more
pronounced as the highest power output level approaches the point where the
core generated power becomes close to the power that is radiated and convected
from the device.  When those powers are equal, the time constant approaches
infinity and the temperature 'sticks' at that level for a significant time
while requiring very little drive power.  And, at that high level, when the PWM
drive is zeroed the temperature begins to move downwards with a time constant
that is quite long.

As you might imagine, the effective time constant falls off rapidly as you move
away from the above mentioned balance point.   It should be significantly
shorter by the time you reach the temperature level between the two PWM turning
points unless these temperatures are very close together.  The actual rate at
which the time constant reduction falls off with temperature depends upon the
curves defining the core generation power function and the output power escape
function.

Jack, I am assuming that you will have a type 3 system that is capable of
thermal run away.  I make this assumption because it is difficult to adjust the
parameters of the defining equations necessary to achieve a type 2 design.  A
10% error is enough to completely miss type 2 behavior and I find that I
generally have to use Excel in order to obtain coefficients that work well.  It
takes too much time to run simulations alone to obtain that desired result.
Excel however can be used to obtain the characteristic curve quickly.  Of
course, a type 1 system is relatively easy to test but the COP is limited to
less than 3 which is not super interesting.

Dave