While Li and other alkali metals (K, Cs) have shown some value in LENR,
they do not seem to be required for Ni-H LENR.  Piantelli's baseline Ni-H
LENR uses a pure Ni rod and isotopically natural H2 and achieves LENR.
>From this reaction he discovered MeV protons being emitted and later added
a Li shell spaced out around his Ni rod as an "afterburner" to produce
additional heat from the MeV protons.  It is reasonable to believe that his
baseline experiments were not contaminated with alkali metals.