Here are some comments I posted elsewhere.

Opposition to new ideas is common in all fields of science, technology and
commerce. You can find examples from every era in history. I doubt the
problem is worse now than it was in the past. There are various reasons why
scientists oppose new ideas, for example because they are conservative, or
unimaginative, or jealous. But I think in most cases it comes down to
money. Take the opposition to the MRI. I believe this was mainly from
corporations and people who make a living with x-ray equipment, including
CAT scanners, which compete with the MRI.

Here is an important ramification. When x-rays were introduced in the late
19th century, there was no opposition to them. Why? Because there was no
established industry selling equipment that let doctors see inside
patients. There were no vested interests that would be hurt by this
particular machine.

Minicomputer companies did not oppose microcomputers (PCs) in the late
1970s and early 80s. The minicomputer companies thought that PCs could
never compete. A top manager at a computer company told me that PCs were
mere "toys" that could never be large enough to do useful work. That is why
they did not take them seriously, and it is also why they did not try to
make their own PCs until it was too late, after IBM and Apple were firmly
established.

This is a corollary to Stan Szpak's dictum: "scientists believe whatever
you pay them to believe." They also attack whatever you pay them to attack.
This is also what Upton Sinclair had in mind when he said: "It is difficult
to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not
understanding it!"

Scientists sometimes claim they oppose cold fusion because it appears to
violate theory, or because it is not supported by theory. We know this is
not true for two reasons. First, Tom Passell of EPRI said that many of the
most vocal opponents in 1989 were quietly applying to EPRI for funding to
research cold fusion. I assume they were yelling and carrying on in public
to prevent other people from applying for funds. In other words, to reduce
competition. Second, there are countless claims in modern science that have
little or no theoretical basis, and no experimental evidence, such as
multi-universe theory and string theory. There is no opposition to this
research because it does not threaten anyone's funding.

The fact that a discovery may have practical applications, or that it might
save thousands of lives or billions of dollars has no bearing on whether
scientists will support or oppose it. Only one metric predicts their
reaction: if they themselves will benefit financially from the research,
they support it. If it will hurt them, they oppose it. This is also true of
doctors, corporations, politicians, consumers, programmers and everyone
else in society.

The use of the chronometer for navigation is one of the clearest examples
of a beneficial invention blocked by scientists to protect their own jobs.
The chronometer was perfected in the late 18th century. Combined with the
sextant, by the first decades of the 19th century it greatly improved
navigation, preventing hundreds of shipwrecks, lost lives and the
equivalent of billions of dollars in losses. It was tremendously important
to the Royal Navy, similar to the way today's GPS systems are.
Unfortunately, the chronometer competed with the lunar navigation system
which was being funded and coordinated by the British Royal Astronomer.
This project employed hundreds of England's astronomers, costing the
equivalent of millions of dollars. It continued until 1912. So, the
astronomers did all they could to sabotage the use of chronometers and
prevent them from being used. See Dava Sobel's book "Longitude" for details.

(This is getting off topic, but to understand the depravity of the British
scientists who fought against chronometers, you have to realize that
shipwrecks were as common in the 18th and 19th centuries as automobile
accidents are today. There were thousands every year. Here is a map of
shipwrecks for the first 6 months of 1873 in the British Isles:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6qvuFUMAp9HNW5oU08yaHVmLXc/view?usp=sharing

The chronometer greatly reduced the carnage. There were even more wrecks 70
years before this.)