I’m glad to see this issue discussed. I think it shows an awakening as to why
we are collectively stuck as a technological society.

I can only add that researchers (especially in medicine) have been accused of
careful avoidance of dramatic discoveries because exposing new truths
too rapidly can result in a loss of employment for a Ph.D.   Better to break
down a research effort into the tiniest segments possible and look for the next
funding
grant.

Things that do not suggest high profits may be ignored almost completely. I was
reading about powerful anticancer effects of seaweed in a new study this week
and  recalled that it was little different from a Japanese study carefully done
over 30 years ago.