Ron, this patent application requires an energy source by means of a Van de
Graaf generator to generate voltage output by means of a high electrical
field provided. Van den Graaf generators do not run without input energy.

Steorn claims are based on a charge generator that does not have a
conventional input source.
Remains the question: what is the energy source this Steorn battery is
tapping from?
Environmental temperature changes or Earth magnetic field variations are
out of order because the energy density Steorn demonstrates does not fit
these potential sources.

My personal guess is that they use 'metal - semiconductor' junctions
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal%E2%80%93semiconductor_junction>to
generate the high electrical field that is required to generate charge by
means of electret materials. Some electret materials
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electret> also have semiconductor
properties, so such combination would fit their claims. In other words the
Van de Graaf generator in your indicated patent application is substituted
by 'metal - semiconductor' mechanism.