I agree that the argument that the threat of starvation and economic
marginalization can be useful for motivating people to do something with
their lives is unpersuasive now, if it ever was persuasive.  I don't think
people should face starvation, or even go without dental care, as a result
of being lazy and unambitious, let alone mentally ill, disabled or
physically handicapped.  I am hopeful that this awareness is starting to
become widespread, even if it will be a while (hundreds of years?) before
something practical is done with it.

As the conditions during the industrial revolution show, Anglo-Saxon
countries in general, and the US in particular, have an above average level
of tolerance for the suffering of their own people. So I would not
necessarily bet money on anything happening anytime soon in the US.  It
seems just as likely that we could let things get pretty dystopian.

What is also worrisome is what will happen to political power with
narrowing economic opportunity.  You cannot even pretend to have a level
playing field, with equal opportunity for all, when economic
marginalization begins to affect a large number of young people, as well as
a significant portion of the adult population, as structural changes
gradually transform the present economy into something we can only guess
at.  With profits currently accruing to a small portion of the total
population, politics will also go in an unknown direction, no doubt for the
worse.

If a basic income can help with a little of this, I think we should try
some small experiments to test it out over several years. I'm for
piecemeal, incremental change, carried out a little at a time.  If the
experiments go well, I would not mind if a number of present-day welfare
programs, such as food stamps and workers' comp, were gradually
consolidated into it.  We should not let ideology get in the way of this
kind of experiment.  But at any rate economies are things that are
supported and controlled by societies, and they are free to modify the
rules however they want. The only thing limiting this beyond political will
are any unintended consequences that follow, which is part of the reason
you make changes in small batches rather than in one go.

Eric